It's beyond, just a Celebration!


It's happening and it's happening in less than 2 weeks time.
With all the rush and fuss about exams, assignments.... last minute submissions, I didn't realize that I was graduating in 2 weeks. There was a sudden pause in my life, when my friend asked " Did you buy your white saree?" ( saree for graduation. that's how we roll it and white is my college tradition). I looked up at her in surprise because I didn't see it coming so soon. A hazy memory hit me and went back to the day I first entered my class room. It wasn't very long time ago. Just 2 years back I remember me looking out for various colleges, deciding on courses to choose, filling up application forms.... and today am already in the last page of that chapter.

source : google images

When we say Graduation, we all know it's about - conferring of an academic degree. But, is that all?? Is it only about finishing the degree and leaving the college?? Definitely not! We attach so much  emotions to this word Graduation. If it was as simple as saying - we are done and we are leaving - I don't think there would be any meaning to all those teared up eyes that we see on the day of graduation.
Friends, class room chats...naps :P, sharing lunch, boring lectures, imitating teachers, college trips.... all the fun, laughter, fights and fear that we had during our college days... we will miss it all no matter how silly or dumb it was. It's such an irony that how much ever we crib and say we hate our college, in the end we only cry and wish to go back!  
But, my take on "graduation" is even beyond this. Having graduated ones (i.e my under graduation) and now being in masters and graduating makes me look at things in a more matured way. So, I believe this time when am graduating  it's more than a celebration and even more than saying a good bye!
It's about keeping a promise. Promise to our college, promise to our loved ones... our society, our country and more than anything, a promise to our own conscious.
The promise that am talking about is a promise  -
- To be true to our hearts
- To dream higher and achieve
- To be helpful and caring
- To be responsible and respectful
- And most of all to be a good Human Being!
Untill we are in college it's like being inside a mother's womb. Everything is safe and secure. Every single person in this world always wish to go back to their college life because, it's a bright, fun and colourfull part of  life.  No big responsibilities and no big commitments. But, once we graduate everything changes. Life takes a new turn and that's when we realize we are grown ups!
Julie Durden wrote in her graduation song, when we go out there -" the world is big and everything seem out of reach, the sky is high and the walk is wide". Amidst all the struggle it's important for us to remember our roots, our lessons, our alma mater. Whatever we do, whom ever we become, where were we go... it all began  here in college when we stepped in, when the first bell rang. So, even when the times are hard and you feel you can't go on.. the plan is to remember to just follow the heart, because our heart knows - where we come from, what we have learnt and what we have promised.
With all the excitement for my graduation, all am left with to say is, suit up, light the candles, play the song, dance on... lets graduate with a promise for a lifelong.  

Happy Graduating to my class! Will miss you all! 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. Very well written!! Inspiring!! :)

    ReplyDelete